30 March 2007

The Pact

Jodi Picoult is like the J.K. Rowling for adults. Her books are easy to read, require very little brain power and are fun. She is remarkable in the sense that her books are quite well researched and very realistic. (Case in point: "My Sister's Keeper" is basically my job in words. Very true to life.) And yet sometimes I feel as if I am a book whore for reading her, because the literary value is, to me, lower than many books.

The Pact is disturbing. It's about two kids, boy and girl, whose lives are intertwined so much that the line between them blurs beyond reach. There's a thing, then a trial, then the end. Seems simple, huh? Here's the thing that is so cool about Jodi: I read that simple book in two days. I couldn't put it down. Thank the Lord I was working nights so that I could read in between things while the kids were sleeping.

So. The moral of the story: Read Jodi's books in between those heavy lit books for a little breathing room. Because she sucks you in and keeps you to the end.

No comments: