23 January 2007

A Confederacy of Dunces

I am reading the best book of the year. Granted, it is only day #23 of the new year, but seriously, this is the best book. I guess I'd call it a tragicomedy. I laugh out loud while reading, which is mildly embarassing when you're out in public. (People stare.) The main character's name sets the whole tone of the book: Ignatius J. Reilly. He wears a green felted hat with ear flaps every day and uses it to block out things he doesn't want to hear. Ear flaps up: he's willing to listen. Ear flaps down: he's tuning you out. So funny.

The author's story is interesting too. He wrote the book in the mid-sixties, then committed suicide shortly afterwards. His mother found the manuscript among his things, read it, and immediately sent it to a publisher. With it, she sent a letter, saying that although she was his mother, she thought it was a wonderful book. The publisher rejected it, saying that he doesn't take unsolicited manuscripts. But the mother was persistent, she sent it back and asked him to read a little of it anyway. So he was like, fine!, I'll read a bit! And he read it, the whole thing, then read it again, and again. He said it was the best thing he'd read in a very long time. And what a shame, he said, that we are deprived of this author's body of work due to his suicide. The author's name is John Kennedy Toole.

I am only on chapter four, not far enough, usually, to make a sound judgment on a book. This book, however, is excellent from the very first page. You'll laugh and simultaneously cry for this man Ignatius of the Ear Flaps.

2 comments:

Andrew McAllister said...

Hi again,
Thanks for dropping by my site and for leaving such an insightful comment. Much appreciated!

And good for your husband for being supportive when your past insecurities pop out occasionally. That happens to all of us and I believe it is so much easier when you receive a supportive response instead of a critical one.

Have a great day!
Andrew

Krista said...

I am SO reading that book! Uh, as soon as I'm done with the one I'm currently reading. And also finish the book "next" on my list.